Saturday, April 23, 2011

Making Stone Soup

~ Irrelevant banter omitted. Pertinent banter included. ~


Caroline J. Nye
Beginning to paint Stone Soup over on CJNye
August 15, 2010 at 10:51am

CJNye
Orange. Stone Soup shall begin with an Orange base coat. And I will pick up a another set of stretchers and work a smaller piece on the easel too :)

CJNye
Orange is my content color- wonder if it has something to do with the fact that my baby blanket (still use it actually, it's full-sized) is orange and white checks. Soft. Warm. Orange.
BF - Pssst... it is also your camouflage color ;)
CJNye LOL!
JT - might just be - perhaps they said, Look how adorable she looks with that orange blanket.
CJNye That blankie is calling me now- I am for some reason completely wiped out today. Taking it slow. I'll put together the smaller diptych's underpinnings over the course of the week.
LS - Many swamis wear orange, and it is the 2nd chakra the svadisthana. ~~~ be warm and cozy in your orange blankie!

CJNye
Does the Home Depot have an art collection?

CJNye
Slightly mottled base. I'm thinking a layer of transparent orange next... make the safety orange atmospheric & soothing. I ♥ integrated contradiction.

CJNye
Stone Soup, I should mention, is for all of the art peeps I have found over facebook these past months who share their creativity so freely. oxo

CJNye added 3 new photos to the album Random.
August 21, 2010 at 5:22pm

Caroline J. Nye
Some transparent orange porous scholar rock depth to Stone Soup today on CJNye while Maria rests and reads her Met guide book; movie night tonight :)
August 22, 2010

CJNye
Been thinking about what I would do today all week, layers of decisions... transparent orange... roses, circles, rose windows, no, holes, no- both... stained glass scholar rocks :)

CJNye
O'keeffe's hip sockets... warrens for Sean [Capone]'s rabbits... Lori [Field]'s roses... and suns and moons and mountains.

CJNye
‎And perhaps a bit of ... oh, what was that comic book space movie c. 1980s... agh! can't remember, cheese-rific. Crazy orange sky and a flying Billy D. W.

CJNye
Ha ha! Remembered.




CJNye
Galaxy roses.

CJNye added 2 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
August 22, 2010 at 4:16pm

Caroline J. Nye
Last week's layer has cured enough to work - must be Paint Day!
Transforming galaxies into roses on CJNye
August 29, 2010 at 9:30am

CJNye
Starting with something akin to those in Charles Rennie Mackintosh's House For An Art Lover, Glasgow, but more... nuclear.

CJNye
Um, yeah.

CJNye
Hmm.




CJNye
lol - amazing what we draw on... I'm using china painting techniques from craft shows I used to watch with my Aunt Jan to get those Mackintosh roses.

CJNye
Too precious - I need to mess this up and bring it back.... This impulse is status quo for the early stages of my work... it's process really, it just feels risky every time.

CJNye
Curious nuns, Brancusi, and the salmonella egg scare.



CJNye
Loosey goosey orbits - wheeee!
Much better :)

CJNye added 2 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
August 30, 2010 at 8:25am

Caroline J. Nye
Bontecou sails upon the butterfly effect of the atomic MackIntosh roses comprising Stone Soup... yeah yeah yeah - it's Paint Day! CJNye
September 5, 2010 at 10:40am

CJNye
Yes.

CJNye
Researching butterfly images. One of my favorite books as a kid was a huge volume "Mariposas de Venezuela" w/ Audubon-like illustrations by Theophile Raymond c. 1905








CJNye
Why the wire and wings? We're bringing the order of the grid to the new universe, with a feminine organic twist ;)
KIS - never thought I could like butterflies and their symbolism more. Thanks for these new sights
CJNye Dragonflies are another favorite of mine, but those carry extra layers of personal meaning for me, and not quite right for this piece.

CJNye
‎And if you really want a multi-level reference chuckle- I'm actually looking at the shadows of the Bontecou mobile I took on my phone.

CJNye
Here we go - I can't get mine off my phone but this is close to what I've got:

CJNye
Gettin' a 'lil bit Bourgeois here too ;)

CJNye
Details matter :)

CJNye
‎And we come full circle to the Hubble photos of the Cat's Eye Nebula. Ok, that's enough source material :)


CJNye
Another bush required. Big. For great planes of loose transparencies.

CJNye
Time to switch colors - get a little stripe effect going.

CJNye
Grrr... hmmm...

CJNye
We've reached the tipping point. Can't do any more until this layer has cured a week. Pics tomorrow.

Caroline J. Nye
Another Paint Day! I've got the place to myself & problems to solve so I'm going to indulge in my vocation at CJNye WHEE!
September 19, 2010 at 11:48am

CJNye
Somehow this got a bit Tim Burton at the Ren Fair, and that's just not good.

CJNye
As for the tipping point - it needs a bit of "ruining" ;)

CJNye
As soon as I can get out of my PJs. Ouch. Working on the floor much of yesterday nearly broke me.

CJNye
I think the problem was my fatigue was causing me to be timid... prissy.

CJNye
Grr. Resolved one area, but it made another look awkward. It's one panel... too contrasty... sharp... clunky. I need to soften it. Balance it.

CJNye
Less

CJNye
More










CJNye
A sea sponge. Never used one before, but that's what I need. And [John] Macwhinnie's blue. And now we're channeling the scarf dad bought me when we went to Italy together eons ago - butterflies and little gold threads.

CJNye
Well that was an adventure. The little mom and pop apothecary that *always* had them didn't. Back across town to the art supply store and the back-to-school lines. And Trader Joe's for milk- gotta have the coffee.

CJNye
lol - and after all that agonizing and thinking and running and finding - it took about 3 minutes to implement. Art is made in the mind.

CJNye
Blue, and purples, and atmospheric grey sea-greens, will come later.

CJNye added 9 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
September 8, 2010 at 2:05pm

CJNye
Complicated shades of purple-brown* on my mind lately, and a brigh yet soft matte robin's-egg blue....
* Those purple browns more fully articulated themselves into a subsequent diptych, Flannel.

CJNye
Thinking I need to make a little pendulum to drop orbits of little blue dots across my orange universe... do I have any Sculpy in my supply drawers... hmmm.

Caroline J. Nye
Tools, space, time, & light.
Kicking it over to CJNye
September 19, 2010 at 11:48am

CJNye
No pendulum, not really what I'm about- but I dreamed about pendulums and orbits and constructive stresses of centrifugal force- and the image of the blue on the orange has been in my head for days, so that's what we're gonna do.

CJNye
I need to take a walk in the sunshine and get my focus, or lose my focus, or something like that....

CJNye
To hell with the plans- I need big & loose and different. It's time to go to the scary place :)

CJNye
Oh no I'm going to ruin it. Oh no I'm going to ruin it. Oh no I'm going to ruin it. Damn I'm good.

CJNye
That's infinitely better than - Damn I'm good. Damn I'm good. Damn I'm good. Oh no I ruined it! - Which I have also done upon occasion.

CJNye
Letting the cascades settle down a bit, finish doing their thing, firm up... in other words- I'm watching paint dry.

CJNye
Eternal purple octipi pinwheels spinning across the universe.
Aaaand watching more paint dry :)

CJNye
‎And now it's safe for me to pull some of it up, because as important as it is to build, it is also sometimes important to look back to the foundation.

CJNye
Wrapped up with rose whirlwinds of negative space.
I'll tackle that grant app tomorrow, for now, Sesame Chicken.
Pics soon. oxo

CJNye added 13 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
September 21, 2010 at 5:12pm

Caroline J. Nye
Seems like a good day to work the vocation- which I have been prioritizing lately ;) CJNyeSeptember 26, 2010 at 10:17am

CJNye
Looking at that soaring Smack Mellon space has totally cemented the thoughts I've been having for a while now of returning to banner paintings. There were quite a few hanging treatments and installation configurations I never got to realize and the greater number open up the modular possibilities even if directionality is more limited.




CJNye
I have nothing in mind. No plans. I think I'll ease in by starting to stretch the next small diptych then, as per usual, toss the canvases around looking for weak spots. Go from there.

CJNye
Just realized my shirt was inside-out. I'm thinking it's a good thing that I've only been thinking on the piece as yet rather than having lain on the brush.

CJNye
Depth. Hypnotic, unifying depth. in Quinacridone Magenta, naturally.

CJNye
Wo! Hey! Where'd that come from?

CJNye
Ribs? Tribal tattoos? Rough. Raw. Rhythmic/Graphic like my more graphic doodles. Find a hole, fill it up. Pattern pattern pattern.

CJNye
I'm channeling back deep.

Title: Untitled (Large Charcoal)
Medium: Charcoal, Chalk, & Conte Crayon on Paper.
Dimensions: Approximately 78" W
Date: 1995



Title: Untitled (Ribs)
Medium: Oil on Canvas
Dimensions: 30" H X 36" W
Date: c. 1995-1997


CJNye
‎And this, which is unfinished, could almost be a preparatory sketch.


CJNye
And clearly why I'm calling this one Stone Soup: Lori [Field]'s musings, Judy [Rifka]'s cones, and now Peregrine [Honig]'s dissected pony, all sparking different bits of my own work.

CJNye
Blue? Now? Are you sure? Ok... if that's what you want.

CJNye
No. Not now. Patience.

CJNye
Broken through to some sick Bauhaus sh*t - yeah baby!
BF - Like this?



CJNye More like this:
Just the rhythmic value. bop bop, bop bop, bop



CJNye
Turquoise.



CJNye
A lil bit of Nakashima in there too. Pics soon.









CJNye
Close to done but after the rough of last night I think I want a little razor-sharp to balance it out and pop it up. Not sure- I'll wait 'til it's dry enough to toss around and look at in a few configurations.

CJNye
Gold. little bit. yeah, that's what it wants.

CJNye added 8 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
September 28, 2010 at 2:00pm











Caroline J. Nye
Whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to studio as soon as I can. Sailing over to CJNye.
October 3, 2010 at 10:59am

CJNye
Things to work out in my head but not on this piece which needs to cure a bit more before play with my mica powders on it. Maybe I'll staple a length of pre-primed to the wall like I did back in school, or raw... rough- a sketch of a painting, but on an athletic scale.

CJNye
A walk in the crispy sun cured the agita. I think I'll just take pleasure in the humble manual labors of getting my next canvases stretched firm and smooth & gessoed bright & ready.

CJNye
Thumb resting. Thinking about the proportions for a new large diptych... the hight of O and the bredth of Stone Soup, which should give it comfortably human proportions.

CJNye
Stopped mid-staple to finish Stone Soup. There were no more marks to make, the story was told, but she needed a bit more brightness; she is about my facebook friends after all ;)

CJNye Translation: I brushed some Inca Gold mica powder over some of the partially cured marks of last week's paint.

Caroline J. Nye
Seems my painting isn't finished with me yet. Back to CJNye to transform the storm into a gossamer wing. Then to Nine Lives, perhaps sup with the peeps, and home to curl up with a good book and an excellent cat. Prrr.
October 4, 2010 at 11:04am

CJNye
Yes, it needed to be bright. But a flip revealed the storm is part of the wing, so it also wants delicacy. Which, ironically, I expect to achieve mostly with a lot of solvent and some firm scrubbing :D

CJNye
I'm thinking High-Light Gold mica now- it irrideces silver/gold... make new friends.... plus the bluish cast will mesh better with the purple.

CJNye
Aaand just threw the whole thing in the shower (narrowly avoiding getting paint on my delicates), that's right kittens, we're in the experimental zone.

CJNye
Bright, intricate, bold, shimmering ripples of the butterfly effect blowing across a universe of atomic rosebuds... I am pleased.
She's done, pictures when there's light.

CJNye added 7 new photos to the album Stone Soup - process.
Each canvas is 30 x 60 x 1.5"
October 6, 2010 at 10:59am





No comments: